Italian eggplant recipes

This recipe has been handed down for many generations! It's a family original - from the farmlands back in Calabria. There was never such a thing as an overabundance of eggplant. This is a fabulous side dish that can be served anytime. Today, I enjoy this with crusty Italian bread, lightly toasted or homemade garlic bread (the garlic baked right in the bread) fresh from the oven. Yesterday I drove down to PA to visit my favorite market and loaded up on all kinds of fresh fruits and veggies - and of course - enough Italian eggplant to enjoy and make this!



Ingredients:



Eggplant

Coarse salt

Hot peppers

Olive oil

Vinegar

Fresh garlic cloves

slicedFresh mintfinely chopped



Wash and peel eggplants; slice lengthwise - thinly; slice into long thin ribbons. Place in colander, layering with coarse salt. Three to four eggplants should call for a good handful of salt (we eyeball this!) Place a weight on top and leave to drain for 24 hours.



=Drain. =



In large pot, combine one part vinegar with two parts water; bring to boil. Drop in eggplant; let sit 3 minutes; drain; squeeze out excess moisture from eggplant.When just about dry, place in large bowl with sliced garlic, hot peppers (sliced) and mint. Mix in enough olive oil to coat well. Pack into hot jars, leaving little headspace. Pour a little extra olive oil on top. Poke with a wooden spoon to release trapped air. Seal with hot sterilized lids - hot water bath method.NOTE: This is an original recipe from many years ago. When I make this (I usually don't can this - I make it whenever I want) I do it a bit differently.After slicing into ribbons I immediately submerge in hot liquid for 3 minutes; remove and drain very well. To me eggplant is not that bitter and does not have to be layered with the salt! I leave that step out of all my eggplant cooking!I transfer to large bowl, add peppers, mint and oil as instructed. I still transfer to a clean jar, add more olive oil and poke. Cover and refrigerate several hours before serving. This will keep several days in the fridge - if it lasts that long around here!

AddThis Social Bookmark Button

No comments: